Woonsocket, RI asked in Adoption and Family Law for Rhode Island

Q: How can I prevent my daughter from seeing her biological father?

I have raised my daughter since the week she came home from the hospital after being born. I may not be her biological father, but all she knows is I'm her daddy. Her biological father is not on the birth certificate and has not had contact with my wife since she was about 3 months pregnant and my daughter is now almost 5 years old. Her biological father just served us a court summons under the uniform law of paternity. What can my wife and I do to protect our daughter and ourselves from this

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Help your wife hire an attorney to best advocate for the interests of the child. There will likely be DNA testing and multiple court hearings required.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.