Westminster, MD asked in Criminal Law and Securities Law for Maryland

Q: I was recently adjudicated as guilty after pleading nolo contendre in a Topeka Kansas District court case involving

Selling securities without a license and using Skype from a Md office. The judge departed downward from 41 months in a severity level 4 crime to zero jail time , but three years of ISP in Md. also, joint and several restitution of $900,000 with 3 other defendants. The prosecution has file an appeal on the judges decision, asking that the case be remanded to the lower court for reconsideration Of the sentence.

Do I have any concerns? Do I need to hire a defense attorney for the appeal process? Do I need to do any specific work to help defense find departure results in previous case law?

Any other advice?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You need to have an experienced federal criminal defense attorney admitted to practice before the US Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit. The attorney will do all the legal research. Most criminal defense counsel who practice in the federal courts will either handle appeals or will know others to refer you to.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.