Maryland Securities Law Questions & Answers

Q: Can a settlement agent who signs a loan application also be the notary and witness on a deed of trust.

3 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Securities Law for Maryland on
Answered on Mar 3, 2019
Richard Sternberg's answer
If the notary is applying for the loan, he cannot notarize his own signature. Almost all settlement agents are notaries. And, notaries can of course be a witness. That’s pretty much what a notary is: a witness to the authenticity of a signature. Maryland Law does require deeds and deeds of trust to be prepared under the supervision of a lawyer, but there is a loophole that you could sail a battleship through. If you doubt the enforceability of your deed of trust, you can ask a Maryland lawyer...

Q: I was recently adjudicated as guilty after pleading nolo contendre in a Topeka Kansas District court case involving

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Securities Law for Maryland on
Answered on Jul 31, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
You need to have an experienced federal criminal defense attorney admitted to practice before the US Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit. The attorney will do all the legal research. Most criminal defense counsel who practice in the federal courts will either handle appeals or will know others to refer you to.

Q: What is the basis of securities that are inherited in a non-community property state?

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Maryland on
Answered on Sep 28, 2017
Cedulie Renee Laumann's answer
Inherited property generally gets a stepped-up basis. If someone already owns part of property they cannot "inherit" the whole thing, hence a "half step" in basis.

For more specific answers you may wish to run your situation by an accountant and/or attorney.

Q: what documents should I file for complaint against a night club and a security business for wrongful assault in MD

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Securities Law for Maryland on
Answered on May 23, 2016
David Alan Wolf's answer
Assault and negligent security cases are quite complicated. You may want to retain the services of an attorney to pursue this matter on your behalf. There can be a count for assault, battery, negligence and other causes of action. If you do not formally hire an attorney, you may want to have an attorney draft the complaint for you to file. Before you file anything, go ahead and speak to a local personal injury or civil rights attorney as to recommended and practical courses of action.

Q: Where can I go to find directors/office holders of US companies?

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Maryland on
Answered on Jul 21, 2015
Adam Studnicki's answer
Each state has resources for searching company information. More of it is being made available online over time. The amount and type of information available varies depending on the State.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.