New York, NY asked in Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for New York

Q: What happens if an illegal immagrent gets caught driving with out a license and registration, insurance is not theirs

1 Lawyer Answer
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Scarsdale, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It depends on the jurisdiction, but pleading guilty could affect immigration status and any judge will tell this to a defendant prior to a plea. In general, these cases are criminal if the person has a “guilty mind” meaning that they knew the license and our registration was expired; if they had no knowledge it is the VTL509 violation which is not a criminal offense.

Criminal law is my primary area practice and, although our prices are very reasonable at $180 an hour for attorneys and $65 an hour for paralegals, you are in good hands as I have been recognized as one of the top 10 criminal lawyers in New York State (

Further, my most senior paralegal Kelly Gonzalez handles all of our immigration matters and is an expert in that area… As such I think we would be able to help you greatly in this.

Please feel free to contact us for a confidential phone consultation at no cost… We also offer comprehensive in person consultation/legal advice sessions for a nominal fee. Our rates are competitive at $180 an hour for attorneys and $65 an hour for paralegals. For this sort of matter we would require $620 as an initial retainer, the remainder of which will be returned to you if not used up or if used up you will be billed monthly there after.

Anyway, I think even chatting about this could help you so go ahead and contact us by texting “legal inquiry” to 914-912-1555 or through our website at Will return your call no later than 24 hours after you contact us. The phone consultation and the advice thereIn is free.

Something that would be good to know is what the jurisdiction is and what the actual legal status is. Some jurisdictions are “safe havens”, while others will send you directly to ice… This is not something to play around with unless you have representation. Our rates are competitive, but if you cannot afford us or a similar attorney, ask the court to appoint an 18 B lawyer who is familiar in both criminal law and immigration law… Hopefully you will get lucky. Again, these are two areas that we practice extensively in so please feel free to contact me for a free consultation. I hope we can help. Aubrey.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.