Monroe, NC asked in Divorce and Appeals / Appellate Law for North Carolina

Q: During my divorce my ex claimed he earned a certain amount and couldn’t afford alimony

6 months after the divorce he bought new furniture, new truck , vacations , and is spending alot of money on his next wedding. Can I subpoena his financial forms from the sale of his new truck to prove he lied about his income during our divorce? Is there some way I can get the courts to compare his claimed income from our divorce to that on his truck finance form?

That’s just it. I have nothing to move on with. I had a lawyer that took all the money I had thinking he had a piece of cake job. He fought for nothing. He resigned at the divorce proceedings so I had to go to court alone. I have nothing

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Is there some way I can . . . (fill in the blank with what ever legal issue you have). Yes, there is - hire an attorney who knows what they are doing. If you had transmission trouble and you aren't a mechanic, you'd never think to yourself, you know what, I'mma pull that sucker out and fix it myself. The same is true for legal work if you aren't an attorney. Heck, you'd likely have better odds of correctly fixing the transmission yourself than doing your own legal work correctly. At this point, you have likely had your bite at the apple and came up short. if you had an attorney represent you during the divorce, you should discuss the matter with your attorney. If you didn't, you likely ought to consult with one now just to be on the safe side and see if there is anything that can be done but likely the better option is to just move on. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.