Rancho Palos Verdes, CA asked in Child Custody, Civil Litigation and Family Law for California

Q: I have a court ordered for spousal support. My X hasn't paid over a year. How do I collect? I don't have $ for attorney.

My original div.attorney passed away..

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabi Mand
Sabi Mand
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • San Ramon, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: First you need to get a judgment and then there are various ways to collect court ordered spousal support such as wage garnishment, bank account levy, seizing property/assets. You should contact your county bar association and they might have a volunteer attorney program where someone can help you free of cost.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.