Columbia, SC asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for South Carolina

Q: Possibility for Conspiracy to Distribute Charges?

A while ago, my friend had a very rough part of his life he is still ashamed of today. He apparently talked to someone about distributing drugs, but never followed up with it or went through with it with this particular individual. He had sold drugs before, but he straightened up his act. This happened several years ago and he's since then been avoiding people of this nature and turned his life around completely. The individual he was talking to was sentenced awhile ago for a different and more seriois crime. Will this come back to haunt him with legal reprocussions? He hasent been charged with anything, but he doesnt know if he is completely safe either.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Grooms
Stephen Grooms
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Tell your friend that talking about selling drugs isn't a crime. You have to take some step towards selling in order to charge conspiracy. And while there is no statute of limitations in South Carolina for past felony acts, the likelihood that a person is charged years later for selling drugs, unless he was selling to a CI are highly unlikely. You can always call local law enforcement and ask them to check your name for warrants. I mean your friends name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.