San Antonio, TX asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: I recently paid my rent for it to be rejected even after I got a confirmation number and 5 days later...

landlord says it was due to insuffient funds but my bank says they never attempted to take the money and I know I had more then enough money for it to go throw.

When I attempted to repay my rent I found they had added another bill to it and then trying to charge me an NSF fee and late charge. I know this cant be legal. right? can someone please explain to be what law this would fall under. Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Looney
Paul Looney
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You have a fact dispute, whether you paid rent with NSF funds. Get your proof from your bank. Take the notice to the landlord and try to resolve the matter. The whole thing will end up in Justice Court if you cannot resolve it with the landlord. Yours is a question of "proof", not "law". Settle the facts on your side and this should go away.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.