Q: I reported animal cruelty on my sons landlords now I'm being harassed threatened

I reported animal cruelty on my sons landlords to the sheriffs department. The deputy gave them my name that I was in to file a complaint now I'm being harassed, threatened, and assaulted and the sheriff department will do nothing. I have called them 9 times in last 4 months because of them harassing me and etc. I filed assault charges which never went past the sheriffs department what can I do the sheriff department just lies about me even being in their office or the calls I made to them. Meanwhile nothing has been done and these people continue if I go out to my sons house

1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Dunkelgrun
Stefan Dunkelgrun
  • Grand Forks, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: Document every interaction, log the time, date, the person involved, and the nature of the incident. Also document every interaction with the police. Bonus points if you have any other evidence, such as phone records.

Once you have sufficient documentation, if the police are not willing to do anything, talk to the local states attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.