North Dakota Civil Litigation Questions & Answers

Q: I reported animal cruelty on my sons landlords now I'm being harassed threatened

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for North Dakota on
Answered on Aug 24, 2018
Stefan Dunkelgrun's answer
Document every interaction, log the time, date, the person involved, and the nature of the incident. Also document every interaction with the police. Bonus points if you have any other evidence, such as phone records.

Once you have sufficient documentation, if the police are not willing to do anything, talk to the local states attorney.

Q: i would like to know if i have a court case or not. i was given false information and was promised 400,000 for 3500.00

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Products Liability and Civil Rights for North Dakota on
Answered on Jul 18, 2018
Lucas Wynne's answer
If they are located in the United States, you should contact law-enforcement in the city in which they are located. This is clearly a scam.

Q: I loaned some sound equipment to an acquaintance. I am ready to have it back, but Ive been told it is now an hours driv

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for North Dakota on
Answered on May 16, 2018
Lucas Wynne's answer
Yes, tell him that you want your equipment back and give him a reasonable time limit (ten days, thirty days, etc.) to return it back to you. Inform him that you will report it has been stolen if he fails to return the equipment.

Q: On 02/15/2018 my paycheck was garnished in the amount of $430.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation, Collections and Constitutional Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Mar 2, 2018
Lucas Wynne's answer
You hire a lawyer who deals with debt collection issues for consumers and see if they can get your money back.

Q: If a case is dismissed without prejudice, how long does the plaintiff have to refile? Is there a "statute of limitation?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for North Dakota on
Answered on Feb 9, 2018
Nicholas Nelson's answer
North Dakota statute of limitation is often one or two years. Generally, the plaintiff may refile as long as the case is refiled before the statute of limitations has ran.

This is general legal information, and I am unable to render adequate legal advice without discussing at length the facts and circumstances of your particular matter. Good luck!

Q: If you have a public data record what does it mean doc #6 and doc#7 after a bench warrant and a sherriff return

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Criminal Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Jan 1, 2018
Lucas Wynne's answer
What you are seeing is a document record listing, not the record itself. The document you are referring to is likely a bench warrant for your arrest. You will need a criminal defense lawyer.

Q: My son damaged a vehicle while at school. What is my responsibilities and what are my rights in the matter?

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Collections for North Dakota on
Answered on Dec 29, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Send a polite but crisp letter asking them to provide proof of the damage. However, if you have homeowners or vehicle insurance you will want to hand this over to them. If your son did the act, you may wish to consider talking to a therapist/counselor about how to appropriately discipline your son by which I mean the ways that may be counter-instinctual but work better than the instinctive ways we all wish to use to reach out and touch the youth.

Q: Is a stipulation signed by all parties concerned a contract

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for North Dakota on
Answered on Dec 18, 2017
Nicholas Nelson's answer
Most likely yes. If a contract is a bargained for exchange among multiple parties, then it will likely be an enforceable contract. This is general legal advice. Adequate legal advice can only be given after meeting with the client and discussing all the facts of his or her situation. Good luck!

Q: Do I have a legal right if I have two kids to live in our leased twinhome over my spouse?

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law and Landlord - Tenant for North Dakota on
Answered on Dec 18, 2017
Lucas Wynne's answer
You need to call an attorney to address this question. Adequate advice for this issue cannot be provided online.

Q: Dad died 15 months ago in ND and step mom died this month. no children together. Next of kin is? Her mom is alive but 90

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Collections and Probate for North Dakota on
Answered on Feb 6, 2017
Jim Ed "Jed" Franklin's answer
Your question is missing some important information, feel free to contact me via email so I can better answer it. But generally, you should have some interest in your father's estate, though it sounds like there is not much in it. If so, then the "spousal share" may eat up all of the estate. The spousal share is what your stepmother gets from your dad's estate. Nevertheless, it is possible that you are entitled to what is in your father's estate. If your stepmother is the personal...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.