Asked in Family Law for California

Q: Can I fire my court appointed legal counsel for not representing my interests as an out of state non-custodial parent?

My husband, separated 14 years, moved to Virginia. We mutually agreed for our daughter to spend her summer vacation with him 6 years ago. Once he had her in his care, he vanished- changed his phone number, mail was returned, ignored facebook and email correspondence. Our daughter was placed in foster care in March. I was appointed an attorney who does not advocate for me. Can I fire her?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Crista Marie Haynes
Crista Marie Haynes
  • Redlands, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The only thing you can do is hire a private attorney to represent you. When you hire a private attorney to come into the case, the public attorney provided to you is relived from the case and your private attorney represents you thereafter. Unfortunately you cannot fire the court appointed attorney and request another public court appointed attorney. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact my office for assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.