Las Vegas, NV asked in Immigration Law for Nevada

Q: Can I travel in & out of the US if I lost my green card, or do I need to replace it first?

Follow up question: Can I apply for a 10-year green card, without replacing my 2-year green card?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ashley Negrette
Ashley Negrette
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA

A: If you have a two year green card you should apply to remove the conditions on your residence (Form I-751 if you received your green card through your US Spouse) 90 days before the expiration date on the card. Once that application is approved you will receive a 10 year green card.

You should always have a valid card when you try to re-enter the country. You should contact an attorney for help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.