Asked in Personal Injury and Small Claims for Utah

Q: Auto-repair/dealer employee made rude/crude comments while giving me a bill for something i didnt ask for. What can I do

I already knew the problem and just wanted an idea of how much it would cost. I left and returned and decided it was to much so i wanted my car and to leave. So, he wrote me a bill for diagnostics and i told him i already knew what was wrong, i didn't want the diagnostic. He said it was in the paper you signed. I said I guess i didn't read it thoroughly enough. Then he said "Yeah, it also says I get to sleep in your bed, and i get to keep your dog." He was being rude and mean the entire time. Since i also talked to him a few days earlier and he was the same way. I was very emotionaly upset that i couldn't talk anymore about the bill or the car. I needed to get out and couldn't take my car until i signed for the bill and unable to talk or do anything about it i signed, got my car and left the store crying. Is there anything i can do against the employee or store? I was hurt financially, emotionally, and his sexual comment left me afraid and extremely distraught.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: I am sorry, but there is not much you can do legally. Offensive speech is free speech. There are such claims as "intentional infliction of emotional distress" and "negligent infliction of emotional distress" but his conduct would not rise to that level.

If he had told you that he had your child held hostage and was torturing her and played screams over the phone, then that would probably qualify, to give you an idea of the sort of comments that rise to that level.

As a customer, you can leave reviews, and tell other patrons about your experience, which would probably be more financially damaging than a lawsuit anyway.

I hope this helps.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.