Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Probate and Wrongful Death for Oklahoma

Q: My son's dad was shot (9x) and killed by a ohp in 2014. DA cleared the trooper. I find out 175000 settlement paid.

The settlement was paid to the victims mother. my son is his only child so how could this happen? When the da cleared the trooper I understood that to be a shut case. I had no contact with the father or his family the last 10 years of his life. Soon after we had split, he done something to himself and was declared mentally disabled. That trooper should be locked up. If any one deserves money from his death, shouldn't it be his child?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: The son would be entitled in many states to a claim. First see if an estate was opened. See who they said they gave notice to. May be a claim against the executor of the estate & or the attorney of the estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.