Oklahoma City, OK asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: My husband and I were given a family friends 9 year old little boy Oct 2017 to live with us permanently and raise with

the option to be guardians or adopt. His great grandmother is his adoptive mother at this time, she is 73. He has been in my life since he was weeks old on a constant basis. I married in April 2017. When xxxx's daddy passed away, he was 3. He began receiving survivor benefits. Since living with us, his "mommy" has given a total of $1100.00 in support to us for xxx. I can count on one hand the number of times she's called him, as well as the times she has come to visit. My husband just started a new job a month ago and we are desperately trying to get the finances together for a homestudy and attorney fees for the adoption. There are cicumstances that scare me for him to go stay with his "mommy", but I don't know legally if we can file a protective order? I desperately need some advise and answers please. He doesn't want to stay the night there, but she's forcing the issue. What can we do?

2 Lawyer Answers

Pete David Louden

  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: This is too involved yo adequately address in this forum. You need to immediately meet with an attorney to review this situation and discuss your options.

Gary Johnston Dean

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pryor, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I agree you should see an attorney ASAP. However, I question bio mother having any visitation rights, since her rights would have terminated when grandma adopted him.

Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.