New York, NY asked in Divorce, Real Estate Law and Foreclosure for New York

Q: My ex was supposed to take over the house (mortgage, deed -both solely in my name) effective with the divorce

Effective when the divorce was finalized/on record, she was to takeover the payments , deed, etc as she remained in the house

She did not make payments. Left the house for a year. Came back and lived there again for a year without making payments and as the 24 month time frame in which she was to buy the house, get a new note, refinance, etc was up -and me thinking that she was going to have all of this resolved/under control -she went and got a new house and left this one ro foreclose/sold at bank auction.

Am I able to sue/recoup for losses and breach of agreement?

1 Lawyer Answer

Michael David Siegel

  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It is a divorce question, not a real estate question. Your decree governs and remedies are in that case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.