Sylva, NC asked in Family Law, Child Support and Education Law for North Carolina

Q: Do I need a Indiana lawyer to get an agreement that I signed dismissed thru the court due to it being invalid now?

The agreement is for post secondary educational expenses for an emancipated 19 year old/ 20 in October '18. Agreement was for a school that child is no longer attending. Has also moved out of a shared apartment. Moving home for now. The agreement was expenses for this specific school and toward a bachelors degree. Next plan is to go to a community college starting January 2019. I need this dismissed and a lawyer to handle what comes next. My ex refused to put in the agreement that i be informed of the educational status of child. I was never put on the call list for the school. So I basically have no ideal how GPA, courses taken, etc were from the vacated school. Or how Ex and the lawyer came up with an amount I needed to pay. No ideal about financial aid received.Also, the child refuses to communicate with me and has for over 3 years. I am not an Indiana citizen. Need some advice please.

1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa Averett
Melissa Averett
  • Chapel Hill, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: There is no way to accurately answer this question without reading the agreement and knowing a lot more facts about your situation, but I can tell you that if the agreement was signed by a judge in Indiana and entered in a court in Indiana then you definitely need an Indiana lawyer. If it's a separation agreement that was not signed by a judge and not filed with court, then it depends on what the separation agreement says about jurisdiction and what the remedies are in the event of the circumstances you've described.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.