Meridian, MS asked in Immigration Law for Mississippi

Q: Can I apply for adjustment of status with I-485 if I am currently out-of-status?

Hi, I am the spouse of an US citizen. I was until today on a F-1 student status. I had to take a break from my studies because my husband got a job in a different state and I went with him, therefore I lost my F-1 status. The information on USCIS website says that since I am a spouse of an US citizen I can still apply for green card even if I am out of status and also says that I should complete a I-485 for adjustment of status but when I go on the I-485 page and read all about it the information is that you cannot complete and ask for an adjustment of status with I-485 if you don't have a status anymore. Which one is correct? Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Osarumwense Iyamu
Osarumwense Iyamu
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Ocala, FL

A: The general rule is that persons applying for adjustment of status in the United States must maintain their immigration status at the time of filing such application. However, there are exceptions to this rule. This means there are situations where non-US citizens are eligible to file for adjustment of status despite the fact that they are out of status. Spouses of United States citizen fall within the exception. If you're trying to file this application on your own without understanding the law and the application process, I highly recommend you at least consult with an Immigration Attorney to get a clear overview of the application process prior to filing your immigration application with USCIS.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.