Salinas, CA asked in Education Law, Juvenile Law and Sexual Harassment for California

Q: Need a lawyer regarding my 7 year old daughters school for incidents that have taken place. Wanting to know what to do.

My daughter was choked twice and sexually harassed by a student in her class, 1st grade. I met with the district once and nothing was resolved. I have been keeping my child home because I am so concerned with her safety at that school. The school can not tell me when that boy will be back at school. I need answers and I’m not sure if what has happened and how they are handling it is the right way. I know the district has many protocols and confidentiality rules, but does that mean my daughter just suffers? She is frightened to be around that boy and I know they haven’t even moved him from her class. I need some help understanding why no one at the district is taking this seriously. Everyone I speak to can’t believe how nothing is being resolved. I have a second meeting to further discuss the issue Tuesday 10/23/18. I also don’t really have a choice to pull her out and put her in a new school because all the schools are full. But she is no longer safe. I need help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Angelina Bradley
Angelina Bradley
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Monterey Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You need an attorney who specializes in Title IX work. Your daughter has certain rights that can be enforced through the Title IX process.

Do a search for “Title IX attorney San Francisco” and that should be a good place to start.

I’m sorry this is happening to you daughter. Good luck.

William John Light agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.