Halethorpe, MD asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Traffic Tickets and Criminal Law for Massachusetts

Q: My license was resonantly suspended due to an EZ pass bill.

I had been unaware of the suspension till I was pulled over a few weeks ago. i was not arrested, the officer allowed me to call a friend to come get me. after so research i was able to find out why it was suspended and paid the bill. After doing so i was told that everything should be all set. however, this Friday i received a letter saying i still need to go to court in regards to this matter. One should i get an attorney for this possess and two ive read a lot of information that says i could see 10 days in jail and over a $500 fine with my license being suspended for up to 90 days. Could this all really happen over a $200 bill that i was never even notified about because they sent the statement to my parents house which i have not lived at for over a year?

1 Lawyer Answer
Melvin Alanson Heard
Melvin Alanson Heard
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: I am sorry that your received a summons to appear in court for the criminal charge of operating with a suspended license. Heard Law Office is happy to advise you free of charge. Contact us directly at 617-631-3237 or melvin@heardlawoffice.com.

In Massachusetts, under MGL c. 90 s. 23, operating a motor vehicle with a suspended or revoked license carries the following potential penalties: 

10 days in jail

$500 fine (minimum) up to $1,000 fine

60 day license loss (mandatory) 

Reinstatement fees are determined by Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 90, Section 33. They range from $100.00 to $1200.00.

I suggest contacting us so we can review your court summons to determine the best course of action moving forward (no pun intended).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.