Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Massachusetts Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Can your tourist visa be taken away if you stay 4 months in the United States?
Giselle M. Rodriguez
Giselle M. Rodriguez
answered on Feb 26, 2022

Good Afternoon:

This depends on your individual circumstances and on your immigration history.

In general, the period of authorized stay in the United States on a tourist visa is 6 months, but always verify the actual stamp on your passport because it is there where you will be...
Read more »

Q: What is CDC eviction meant for MA state ? Can someone explain to me ?
Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley
answered on Oct 5, 2020

The CDC moratorium forbids landlords from attempting to evict tenants for non-payment of rent if the tenants meet certain financial hardship guidelines:

- Make less than $99,000 (or $198,000 if they file a joint tax return)

- Be unable to make full rent “due to substantial loss of...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Rights, Elder Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Massachusetts on
Q: in MA an offer was placed on my property on 8/9/19 we are now well passed the 45 days agreed upon for closing.

Closing was set for tomorrow 10/16/19. i have done repairs and updates to the lawful expectations of the original inspection in a timely manner by my agents father who i paid for his services. My real estate agent has not been forthcoming about many items through this process. A week ago the buyers... Read more »

Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley
answered on Oct 15, 2019

I strongly suggest you contact a lawyer to represent your interests as soon as possible. The agent/broker is supposed to be working for you, the seller, and no one else. Most P&S agreements state the buyer is prohibited from entering the premises and/or doing work n the premises with the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Gov & Administrative Law for Massachusetts on
Q: I was involved in a prolonged period of exposure of Cellulube 220 onboard the USS Independence (CV-62), circa 1984.

I have become debilitatingly ill, e.g. demyelinating brain lesion, Arachnoiditis, etc, but my healthcare team and the VA do not see a causative link to my documented exposure.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 25, 2019

Thank you for your service. I'm sorry to learn about your illness stemming from exposure to Cellulube. You would get the most meaningful guidance from a law firm that handles veteran's benefits, and I don't think there is a tab for that in the Find a Lawyer section here. You could... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Government Contracts for Massachusetts on
Q: Who can contact me and help me with a complicated legal concern with a federal job?

I was hired after informing my job about my year long pending court trail and after working for 86 days they verbally put me on a unpaid suspension. When I asked for more information and asked for my suspension to be put in writing they stop responding to me, yet I am still working but not able to... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 10, 2019

An attorney can't contact you; that isn't the way it works. This is only a question and answer board. You could contact an attorney using the Find a Lawyer section, or you could conduct your own independent searches. You can add Employment Law to your categories, and hopefully your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Traffic Tickets and Criminal Law for Massachusetts on
Q: My license was resonantly suspended due to an EZ pass bill.

I had been unaware of the suspension till I was pulled over a few weeks ago. i was not arrested, the officer allowed me to call a friend to come get me. after so research i was able to find out why it was suspended and paid the bill. After doing so i was told that everything should be all set.... Read more »

Melvin Alanson Heard
Melvin Alanson Heard
answered on Nov 2, 2018

I am sorry that your received a summons to appear in court for the criminal charge of operating with a suspended license. Heard Law Office is happy to advise you free of charge. Contact us directly at 617-631-3237 or

In Massachusetts, under MGL c. 90 s. 23,...
Read more »

Q: Are you able to provide examples of cases related to faulty vehicle software? Ideally, open source software. Thank you!

Looking for examples of regulatory violations, recalls, class action, civil, or other cases related to software in vehicles. This could also include intellectual property cases associated with open source software. I'm keen to discover how much influence open source software has had, so far,... Read more »

Griffin Klema
Griffin Klema
answered on Sep 21, 2017

Google Scholar is a great resource for finding case law and scholarly articles that may give you the insight you are seeking. Otherwise find a local library (or law library) and seek assistance with at reference desk. A reference librarian can point you in the right direction to come up with... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime, Consumer Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Tax Law for Massachusetts on
Q: How can a state demand boat taxes and fee's from a boat owner who is not a citizen or legal resident of the state?

Massachusetts demands a boat excise tax and several fee's for using their waterways. Regardless the boat owner is not a citizen or legal resident of the state. This also means one cannot vote in the state because the person is not a citizen or legal resident. Examples Here: Boat excise tax; a... Read more »

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
answered on Apr 18, 2017

In the same way you have to pay a highway toll when you're driving on the state roads, you'd have to pay boat taxes and fees for using the state's waters, regardless of residency/ citizenship. The state government is, proverbially, king of its castle. This is the basis of sovereign... Read more »

Q: I called 911 for my husband who was having trouble breathing, passing out I called 911 and they transferred me 3 times

I explained to the operator that he had been diagnosed with/ viral cardiomyopathy 3 years prior and that I think he's having heart trouble again. They asked me if I needed the fire department or the squad? I told them that I needed the squad. The operator transfered me 3 times . My husband... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Mar 31, 2017

I would certainly suggest you contact a member of the Mass Academy of Trial Lawyers in your area. If you need the names of some, let me know.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Massachusetts on
Q: When entering a Federal facility is a random search of employees' cars legal?

In a random unannounced search of cars entering a Federal work facility, a small amount of marijuana was found and the employee is facing termination due to the regulations barring Federal employees from using recreational substances, either on or off the clock. There was no probably cause, no... Read more »

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
answered on Dec 12, 2016

It depends on what type of facility we're talking about (e.g., if a federal prison or a maximum security location, then quite possibly a random search is acceptable), and what type of contractual employment agreements the employee made with the employer re: random drug searches. The best first... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Family Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Is there any difference in Massachusetts between a Notary Public and a Justice of the Peace besides performing marriage?
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
answered on Dec 11, 2016

By a "Justice of the Peace", I presume you mean a "Judge", who has the ability to make decisions in lawsuits and perform weddings, among other powers. A Notary Public is not necessarily a lawyer and only has the ability to verify the identity of a signor of a document, not to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Legal Malpractice for Massachusetts on
Q: Are members of the Governors Council allowed to continue to practice law in court while serving on the Gov Council?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Sep 16, 2016

Yes. For that matter legislators, others may. Can they engage in private practice is the question--generally yes unless they are subject to civil service or other restrictions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.