Edgewood, MD asked in Adoption for Maryland

Q: Am I entitled to my birth fathers inheritance even if I was adopted when I was 12? I'm his sole child.who's the executor

I was adopted in NJ.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: So, if I am understanding your question, your were adopted away from your birth father, and legally became the child of your adoptive father. By law, that means you are no longer the child of your birth father for any legal purpose, including the right to inherit any part of your birth father’s estate. On the other hand, you are now deemed to be the child of your adoptive parent, with all the legal rights as if you were the natural born child of that parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.