Asked in Immigration Law for Washington

Q: Ive got a question on child US immigration (citizenship) that has been bothering me for a long time

Years back, my son's mother got her US citizenship through a marriage fraud and later on applied for my then 1 year old son for US citizenship. I ratified the consent to go ahead to grant my son US citizenship through an overseas consulate. Today my 6 year old son has US citizenship but I feel compunction and want to make amends for sinning by allowing this process to carry on knowing very well the originators' citizenship was acquired through the green card marriage fraud. I wanted to ask what the possible solutions to make amends for this are: I was hoping that there is a process that exists to revoke my son's citizenship and when he is older he can reapply for green card through a bonafide honest process.

Or I can wait for him to grow older and exhort him to relinquish his citizenship and reapply for an honestly acquired green card.

Please I would like some advise on what option is best to take.

Pls note we don't reside in the US

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lana Elliott
Lana Elliott
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Spokane Valley, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: I am not aware of the process that would allow a minor to renounce their citizenship. Parents are not allowed to make this decision on behalf of their children. A child must be at least 16 years of age to present himself at the US consulate abroad and request renunciation of h their citizenship. Even then a consulate officer might still find that a child lacks maturity and recommend them to wait util the age of 18.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.