Atlanta, GA asked in Divorce and Child Support for Illinois

Q: What is laws in Illinois regarding minor(17) in college.Does child considered automatic emancipated once in college ?

Child living with custodian parent and commute for college. Asking for College contribution petition not filed yet.without seeing financial affidavit judge already order that child support contributions will considered towards father's college contribution. Is it fair ? What can be next step ?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.

  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Child support must be paid until the child reaches 18 or graduates from high school, whichever is last to occur. However, the court will likely take the new circumstance into account. It's up to the judge. How much is the obligor parent contributing to the college expenses? Is the child boarding at college, or living with the obligee parent?

1 user found this answer helpful

James G. Ahlberg

  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Short answer: No. Emancipation in Illinois occurs on a person's 18th birthday. It can only occur earlier if a judge grants a petition to emancipate a minor.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.