Bell Gardens, CA asked in Divorce for California

Q: I had a trail for my Divorce and the judge didn't even hear my side. What can I do?

My husband had am attorney but I didn't because of my income. I represented myself & the judge wouldn't let me plead my case. I'm disabled and the judge didn't even care. I was married for almost 20yrs. And being disabled amd not working all those yrs. It's hard to find a job. My husband is a controlling abusive man & without the judge knowing it he's helping him continue the control and abuse. I don't know what to do. I do know I need an attorney because my trial is of record of what happened I would think not being denied to present my case is against my right. Am I wrong?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angelina Bradley
Angelina Bradley
  • Monterey Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If the statement of decision hasn't been issued yet by the judge, I'd hold off on worrying for now. I've often had self-represented parties come to be, believing their side of the story wasn't heard, only to have the statement of decision come out in their favor. That may be the case here. Judges are pretty good about knowing which facts matter and following the law -- it may have been in your case that the law and facts were pretty clear. Not getting to say everything you wanted to say is not always the same thing as not getting to present your case.

If the statement of decision has been issued, my recommendation is to consult with an attorney to discuss what the decision means and how you can move forward if there are things you don't agree with. The law firm Levitt and Quinn in Los Angeles has pro bono/low bono/sliding scale options. They're a non-profit family law firm and they may be able to help you.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.