San Antonio, TX asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Puerto Rico

Q: How much does it cost to file a small claims case in Boquerón, Puerto Rico?

Is it proper to file in small claims court to be released from a rental contract paid 1 year in advance? There was a breach of contract by landlord. We're looking to get our rental fees for the rest of the term of contract.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. The case needs to be filed in the district court due to the amount and matter being claimed. You would file a breach of contract case. The costs are $750.00 retainer and 20% of the amount recovered. The amount placed by the court as legal fees would be credited in your favor as part of the legal fees to be paid. If you need any additional information or assistance in this or any other legal matter please feel free to contact me directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.