Asked in Divorce for California

Q: What do I need to do when my ex stops paying court ordered support? Can I file papers without a lawyer?

Divorce final in 2015, court ordered support

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angelina Bradley
Angelina Bradley
  • Monterey Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Can you? Yes. Your odds will likely be better with an attorney on your side. And the family code (FC 3557) permits you to recover attorney fees because you had to bring a motion to collect court-ordered support.

You will need to file a Request for Order for enforcement of support and setting of arrears. You should probably ask for an income withholding order. You may have additional options.

If you must move forward without counsel, please go to your county’s family law facilitator for free assistance completing the forms.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.