Elburn, IL asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for Illinois

Q: Can respondent allocate that petitioner must remain in the current city of residence for the interest of the children

My soon to be ex has put in the allocation judgement that I must stay in my current city of residence for the best interest of the children, even though I will not be able to afford to live in the city anymore if he reduces child support. I need to know if he can do this. Currently we have stated 25 mile radius for living arrangements.

1 Lawyer Answer

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You can move wherever you wish as long as you stay within the applicable mileage limit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.