High Point, NC asked in Family Law and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: Ex wants me to either inc. my child support from $371 to $718 or let her claim child for taxes. What is better option?NC

My support of $371 was for 2 children per Worksheet B when she was making more income and I was making less. One child turned 18 and support automatically dropped. I don't know how much tax benefit she would receive by being able to claim the younger child going further ?(daughter 14).

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Wendy Smith
Wendy Smith
  • Archdale, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: In order to truly evaluate your answer, I would need more information—I.e. your income, her income, extraordinary expenses, what does your previous custody order say, etc.

Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Child support is determined by guidelines - plug in your incomes and out pops a child support amount. So it ought to be simple 3rd grade adding and subtracting to figure out which option is better. Assuming you have been claiming the child for tax purposes, then which is more - the $4kish increase or the tax refund attributable to the child? Besides who says you have to do either? Consult with a local family law attorney and see whats what. It may end up you get to keep claiming the child for tax purposes and pay less child support. If so, that'd learn her to quit poking about into things.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.