Q: My father passed a few years back and left no will behind. What kind of lawyer do I speak to about putting my siblings

own as owners. Not that his daughter from his 2nd marriage has been taken in payments from renting the house out. She sent a letter to my current address stating that my siblings agreed to give the house which was a false fact since we had no contact with her. What type of lawyer do I contact?

1 Lawyer Answer
Genene N. Dunn
Genene N. Dunn
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Tustin, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You need a probate or trust administration attorney. If there was no will, then the law says who will get the house and it will have to go through the probate court process to be transferred. It depends on how he held title to the property as well and if someone else was on title with him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.