North Wilkesboro, NC asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: How to get custody over a friends child?

How to I get coustady over a ex friends child? They are both refusing for me to get her but after December the 19th they get all rights room from them and the child goes to foster care how can I get the little girl so she doesnt go to foster care? Only reason they dont want me to get her is because they know if I do get her they will not be aloud contract with the child.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sara W. Harrington
Sara W. Harrington
  • Carrboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Because she is already involved in the Social Services system, you can contact Social Services and express an interest in the child being placed with you. You will have a better chance of the child being placed if you agree to take a foster parenting class (called Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting or MAPP classes) through Social Services. You and all the people living in your household will also be required to have a criminal background check and a home inspection.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.