Tacoma, WA asked in DUI / DWI for Washington

Q: So if I refuse a BAC test, I lose my license. But is that it? What are the other penalties in WA?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Port Orchard, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Complex question, I'll try to make it short.

Administratively you MAY lose your license. If you have no priors, the DOL will revoke for a year unless you successfully appeal. You may be able to drive during the revocation if you install an interlock and apply for a restricted license. The DOL will also require high risk insurance for three years.

If you are charged with DUI and a refusal, the penalties (compared to blowing over the limit) all increase. No matter how high the BAC would have been, refusal carries higher penalties. The Court can order your license revoked for two years, and fines (even on a first offense) are typically between $1,200 and $1,500. Mandatory jail is 48 hours, as opposed to 24 if you had a BAC up to .15.

Also, most prosecutors offices negotiate refusals differently, and not in a positive way for you.

None of this applies to the roadside tests, which most lawyers would recommend you decline to do; including the hand held breath test machine at the roadside.

Every case is different, do not rely on this as legal advice instead of individualized advice for your specific set of facts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.