Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Washington DUI / DWI Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: I was in a car accident, single vehicle, minor injuries, property damage only. No impairment recorded or found on scene,

No on scene test given, according to collision report. Transported to ER, did basic cbc, ua, and comprehensive blood test. I don't remember if I signed anything at the hospital to give my test results to police, can they still access my hospital blood test results and other health records? In... Read more »

Patrick Owen Earl
Patrick Owen Earl answered on Apr 14, 2021

Is this for a possible DUI charge in the state of CA or WA?

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Immigration Law for Washington on
Q: Can I apply for citizenship even though I have a DUI on my background?

I have my green card residency for more than 20 years and I want to apply for my citizenship but I don't know if I can because I have a DUI on my background. What can I do and what is the process like?

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Feb 8, 2021

It seems unlikely that a single DUI would negatively impact your application for citizenship. Applicants for citizenship must show 5 years of good moral character, so if the DUI was in the last five years you might want to wait until more than five years have passed. You will also want to make sure... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: I just received a request for DUI hearing But I have never been arrested. Is this a mistake?

UPDATED INFO: This happened eight months ago. Why am I just now getting notice? Also, is there a police report out there that I can review?

I had a medical emergency, pulled over to the side of the freeway. Police recalled, they took a breath test and ambulance was called. I was... Read more »

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson answered on Oct 29, 2020

There doesn't have to be an arrest for the prosecutor to later file a DUI charge. If the investigating officer thought you were under the influence (of alcohol or a drug), they can forward that report to the prosecutor and charges can get filed that way. This is pretty common when the person... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI, Employment Law, Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Washington on
Q: How do I know that I need a lawyer?

I live in Kirkland, WA and am not currently employed.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 4, 2020

A Washington attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for four weeks. From the brief description, it isn't clear what the matter involves, as it is posted across several categories. For starters, if you were injured (you posted under Personal Injury), you could reach out to... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: What will my consequences be when my court date comes around?

I just got pulled over for expired tabs,and the cop smelled my weed in my car,he gave me a few options but in the end he didn't search my car because I gave up my weed. There was about a 4th of weed in the jar. I'm 19 and he did no field sobriety tests,and I live in Washington state

Patrick Owen Earl
Patrick Owen Earl answered on Sep 4, 2020

Sounds like you are in need of an experienced criminal defense attorney my friend. Please do a search for one and have a consultation soon.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Car Accidents for Washington on
Q: Are you able to have copies of your Discovery File ? When is the latest you can fire a attorney? Grounds on firing ?

Present attorney has no witnesses.

Has had 4 years to get any info on clients behalf .

Was tested and given her rights at hospital while under drugs . Client answered questions she didn’t even know she was asked . All info was taken will client was out of it in hospital after surgery.

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson answered on Aug 20, 2020

Good questions.

Can you have a copy of the discovery from your file? There is actually a law that severely limits your lawyer's ability to just give you a copy of your file. It may be possible, but may require some redactions. Ask your lawyer about your particular case. You can also...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: Can I be be bailed out in Washington on a probation violation..
Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith answered on Jun 25, 2020

Generally, when there is a probation violation, the court will set a review hearing. At that time, the defense attorney can often agree on a sanction. Depending on the violation, this could be jail or as easy as community service. Please contact us at 253-238-8273 for a free consultation.

2 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: Was what my lawyer, now a judge, did okay?

I hired a lawyer for a DUI case 3 years ago. I was given a deferment for 3 years to get put down to negligent driving, I paid him 5k to follow my case till the end of my deferment period of 3 years. My final hearing for the end of the deferment is May 15. I tried contacting him as I hadn’t heard... Read more »

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson answered on Mar 30, 2020

In all likelihood, you don't need a lawyer for that final hearing. You have a right to be represented, but that is a right you can waive. Every court handles these things a little bit differently, but you should not be penalized because your lawyer is no longer in practice. Your situation is... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Immigration Law for Washington on
Q: I have two DUIs and one of them is pending. Can I apply for US citizenship?
Ms Grace I Gardiner
Ms Grace I Gardiner answered on Feb 6, 2020

I suggest you do not. Wait at least five years after the most recent DUI is settled. Speak with a criminal law attorney and see if it is possible to amend it to something else. It is possible that two dui can affect your status so arrange a consultation with an immigration attorney in your area

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: What is an uncontested resolution?
Kevin R. Richardson
Kevin R. Richardson answered on Jan 10, 2020

An Uncontested Resokution is when the parties agree on way to conclude the charges in such a way that makes sense. However, he best way to reach the best agreement is to have an experienced attorney on your side who knows your rights and how to properly defend you.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: Can I represent myself for an individual hearing w/o my private attorney and have said attorney complete subsequent

hearings agreed to in my attorney client agreement. It’s a non compliance hearing for a dirty UA in treatment for DUI. Or, do I need the attorney to file a Motion to Withdraw and if so, can I have them withdraw for just this single compliance hearing. They want $500 I don’t currently have to... Read more »

Patrick Owen Earl
Patrick Owen Earl answered on Jan 2, 2020

The attorney can't withdraw for one hearing. Once he is on the case he is on the case BUT you can ask that attorney not to appear at a hearing and see if the Judge will accept your explanation of what you are dealing with however, Judges don't like to do this. Attorneys have a way to... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for Washington on
Q: On 3/3/16 I got a dui, did everything for it. Just recently I got a speeding ticket and the court I got my dui in sent

Me a show cause hearing. What does this mean?

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson answered on Dec 12, 2019

It is probably a type of probation violation hearing. Different courts use different terminology, but I would guess that's what that is. Typical DUI probation is 5 years, and depending on the judge they sometimes consider traffic infractions to be probation violations.

You can call...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: I am on municipal court probation i have a violation hearing does court legally have to allow me my attorney at hearing

Im in washington state

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson answered on Oct 21, 2019

You definitely have a right to a lawyer at every significant stage of proceedings, including probation violations.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: Dui. Deferred 2 years ago. last month. I had a slip up. got a dirty UA. Will they revoke?

Had an abortion this time last year. Since the slip up, I started treatment 1 day a week. Going to more AA’s. Going to a support group to learn to cope with it.

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson answered on Aug 26, 2019

First off, every court is different. I don't know what court your case is in, but GENERALLY the answer is no. Relapses are a part of recovery, particularly when someone goes through something like you have. As long as the treatment agency is aware and addressing it, then you should be fine.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: So if I refuse a BAC test, I lose my license. But is that it? What are the other penalties in WA?
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson answered on Dec 11, 2018

Complex question, I'll try to make it short.

Administratively you MAY lose your license. If you have no priors, the DOL will revoke for a year unless you successfully appeal. You may be able to drive during the revocation if you install an interlock and apply for a restricted license....
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: i was stopped for dui but blew a 0- i dont drink but i do take medications which caution about driving/operating equipme

when blood is taken to determine dui results it takes 8 weeks for the results to come back from the lab. why so long and exactly what all is it tested for?

Jason Powers
Jason Powers answered on Nov 29, 2018

There is a backlog of blood tests at the Washington State Patrol. It seems to take at least four months for the blood to be tested. When it is tested, the lab will check for substances that could affect driving and/or illegal.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: How soon will my court date be after getting pulled over for drunk driving?
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson answered on Nov 2, 2018

In Washington the hearing is supposed to held the "next judicial day". Not all jurisdictions follow that rule though.

It is almost always within two weeks, unless the investigation involved a blood draw. The toxicology lab may take months to test a blood sample.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: Received a voicemail saying there in a location order and a case # at my local court.

It was a local number but wanted me to call her back on a 1-855 number. She stated her name but not where she is from. She said it was an attempt to contact, and she is going to proceed to contact my supervisor to locate me on grounds. And the case # at my local court is going to be filed as public... Read more »

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson answered on Sep 10, 2018

That number has too many digits, and the local court told you there is no record?

It's a scam. I would search Google for similar scams, that may ease your mind. You can always tell them to send you something in writing or ask where you can meet with someone in person, I'm sure they will decline.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: Are there ways you can get the results of a breath test excluded from a DUI trial?
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson answered on Sep 6, 2018

There isn't any one answer for all cases, but there are certainly legal challenges that can sometimes result in suppression of the test result from evidence. You would need to go over the specific facts of your case with an experienced DUI lawyer to know if you have any legal defenses to fall... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on
Q: Do you have to answer police questions during a DUI stop?
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson answered on Jul 30, 2018

"It is unlawful for any person while operating or in charge of any vehicle to refuse when requested by a police officer to give his or her name and address and the name and address of the owner of such vehicle, ... or to refuse upon demand of such police officer to produce his or her... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.