Elk Grove, CA asked in Foreclosure, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for California

Q: Can a judge change his previously amended Temporary Restraining Order?

Received a TRO on 7/5 against ex, giving full no contact, and no custody to ex. Judge upheld TRO however reversed custody ruling on 7/25, when ex requested case go to trial. Just got letter from courts in mail stating trial is moved from March to May, along with an Amended TRO, stating the new trial date, and the the TRO issued on 7/5 is in effect until trial. No other orders are listed, including custody reversal from 7/25.

Does that mean that custody reversal from 7/25 is no longer relevant and that the full TRO from 7/5 is now effective? I have to serve my ex, and withhold my child from him if so.

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed.

judges can change orders but usually, there is a hearing where arguments are presented. Was there one you did not know about?

you have posted this on a crim/accident site and suggest you ask this of family law attorneys.

you really should retain a lawyer who can discover all the info and not just bits and pieces.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.