Middletown, NJ asked in Business Law, Contracts, Collections and Small Claims for New Jersey

Q: Small claims matter of $5000 owed by multiple people.Have texts showing they agreed to pay me back.Worth going to court?

I loaned multiple people money this past year. The money was loaned to people who were at the time long-term friends who agreed to pay me back ASAP. All of these people live in NJ and I have personal information (Addresses, etc) for all of them. I have texts showing them asking me for money and agreeing to pay me back. Most of them will not respond to a court order or will not show up to court because they know they owe me the money and there is no way to contest it. They all have jobs so when I win the garner wages approach would allow me to get my money back. I am a low income(unemployed) college student so I wanted to know the best approach to obtaining my money legally or should I rather not attempt to obtain my money through the court. The money was loaned to people who were at the time long-term friends who agreed to pay me back ASAP.

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You should go to Court, but an attorney is not going to be willing to handle your cases, since it would not be cost effective. If you are really in such bad financial shape, why would you ever loan money to anyone?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.