Boston, MA asked in Bankruptcy and Family Law for Massachusetts

Q: No asset Ch. 7 discharge in 2008 and two years later ordered to pay legal fees of ex spouse for services provided before

filing of Ch 7 -not support related & not found in contempt- I didn't list him as a creditor because he wasn't at that time, but I did serve him notice of my filing at the time - and he had already filed the motion for legal fees - but the judge didn't issue ruling for over 2 years -

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You will have to reopen bankruptcy and add the lawyers a creditor. He should have been listed as a creditor in the original filing even though the amount owed may have not been liquidated at the time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.