Watertown, NY asked in Civil Litigation and Land Use & Zoning for New York

Q: Where can I find settled case law for maintenance responsibility for an easement or deeded right of way in NYS.

We live on a private road which is a deeded right of way for ingress and egress for all property owners. Since approximately 1975 there has been Road dues collection to pay for the upkeep on the road. In the late 1990’s the property owners by majority vote decided to raise the dues to $100.00 dollars per year and we have since paved the entire road which is approximately 7/10’s of a mile long. I have found one document in my abstract which states that the cottagers are responsible for maintenance of said private road. It is my understanding that absent of a written direction the maintenance responsibility lies with the dominant estate which is the property owners whom hold the deeded right of way. In 2017 we hired a snow plowing contractor and a number of the property owners refuse to pay additional funds for this maintenance service. Can we enforce payment through small claims or a property lien. We have no formal HOA or written agreement signed by property owners.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can sue. Sounds like a small claims case against each owner.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.