Washingtonville, NY asked in Civil Litigation, Health Care Law and Sexual Harassment for New York

Q: I want to know if they are suing him or just the health care institution or both/? Do we need a personal lawyer?

My Husband got papers from work in December 6, 2018 from work it states:

He didn't sign for any papers.

The papers went directly sent to work only.

He was accused of sexual harassment in October 31 2017. He was suspended from work for 2 months and returned to work in December 22, 2017.

Summons in a Civil Action

New York state Health Facilities Association, Inc and d/b/a " Institution name" -via Secretary of state NYSHFA Managed Care Inc. Individually and d/b/a "institution name"-via Secretary of state 'Person Name, individually -via place of employment at work address.

We have property in Our names, We have 2 children with disabilities and want to make sure we are protected. I don't understand the letters and he doesn't read.

She is suing for back wages and discrimination.

Live in New York State


2 Lawyer Answers
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I would need to see the papers to answer the question.

V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If your employer is named in the lawsuit then take the papers to the employer since you still work there. Your employer can not possibly defend you if they have no idea you were served. And if they find out you were served and did not tell them that could be a breach of some policy to notify your employer. The employer will or should tell you if you:

1) Need to worry

2) They will not defend you

3) You need to retain your own lawyer

If you don't get answers to these questions pay for private counsel - IMMEDIATELY!

Waiting or pretending that this is not happening and wishing for the best is not an option. Call your local county bar association to find a lawyer and pay for a consultation if you have any doubts about keeping your job, keeping your property, etc..... The worst thing is to do nothing or pretend you were not served - lawyers need to see the papers!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.