New York, NY asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for New York

Q: Victim wants to drop a legal case on me and i currently have warrant due to her false statement from mental health.

How can we go about dropping case without having to go to court ? I am a single mom to my twin baby girls and cant afford to go to jail because of false accusations against me ! Victim wants to drop everything due to the fact she admitts being very mentally unstable at the time how can i get help ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Epifania
Kristen Epifania
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Freehold, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should have an attorney contact the detective handling the case. If there is a warrant for your arrest, an attorney can speak with the detective about the victim’s unwillingness to go forward. If a complaint is already made, you very well may have to go through with the arrest and then it is the District Attorney’s office that will negotiate with your attorney to resolve the case. Either way, you need to speak with an attorney because an arrest warrant means you are wanted by authorities.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.