North Las Vegas, NV asked in Immigration Law for Nevada

Q: Parents brought me here illegally very young. I just want to know my options.

At around 6 months old I was brought to the U.S illegally. I am now 15 years old. I fear for my future as I go to a very good school and I want to be able to have a future without worrying about my citizenship. I have records to prove my time in the United States. I have never broken the law and I feel more like an American than anything else, but my family and I have no idea how to gain a title of citizenship for me. I just want to know what I should do in this situation, or in the future as I understand I am still rather young for most processes. My parents are also illegal and nobody can refer me. Any advice can help for any type of legal status in the U.S (residency,visa,education visa, etc..)

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kelli Y Allen

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: Unfortunately, you are in the situation of a large number of young people who need a change in the immigration laws. The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program) applies to your situation, but because of the President's executive order, no new DACA applications are being accepted. This is currently being reviewed by the courts, so there is the possibility that DACA applications will resume. If you hear in the news that has happened, contact an immigration lawyer immediately. Also, although there has been talk of comprehensive immigration reform for years, the best hope for any change does deal with people in your situation; so there is hope.

The only other possibility would be if you possibly qualify for a U-visa. If you have been the victim of a crime (not all apply) and you (or your parents) have reported it to police and cooperated in the investigation, there is a special visa that might apply. If that is the case, contact an immigration lawyer immediately to discuss.

1 user found this answer helpful

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: At this point, there is little you can do. You can file for DACA if the government decides to allow new applications. Right now it is only possible to renew.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.