Boston, MA asked in Divorce and Domestic Violence for Massachusetts

Q: I am going through a divorce. I can't afford a lawyer or qualify for a free one I am 61 years old. Do I need a lawyer?

Of course no children. No home. Only tax debt. $20,000. I qualify for tax relief, he does not. Is this debt automatically split 50/50?

The document has alimony checked off.

We are both on disability and currently earn about the same. I am in the apartment and paying all the bills. He has been living with (and asked to leave) a few family members. Has been staying in hotel for the past week because he has no where left to go. He denies he has a problem.

He is an active alcoholic and recovering (?) drug addict. I am in recovery for alcoholism for 3 years. Came extremely close to dying 3 years ago (2/4/15). I've been sober since. We have a 3 year history of financial disagreements. He had told me he cancelled it but apparently he has not. The case is in Worcester on 1/22

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christine G. DeBernardis
Christine G. DeBernardis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Amesbury
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You can certainly proceed without counsel. If you cannot afford an attorney, check with your local court to see if they have an "attorney for the day" program or legal aid to assist.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.