Oklahoma City, OK asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Family Law and Immigration Law for Oklahoma

Q: Will this law protect us? If me and my mother are not yet citizens, but we do have green cards, and residents for 10yr+.

My step-father verbal abuse us for many years, and we have some of them recorded. We are residents in Tulsa for over 10 years.

3 Lawyer Answers

Kelli Y Allen

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: I'm not sure of your questions, but as long as you are permanent residents, you don't need to worry about an immigration issue. You may want to consider applying for naturalization.

Keegan Kelley Harroz

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If you are permanent residents you don’t need to worry. The police will help you if you report domestic abuse.

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: If your question pertains to the impact on your immigration status of leaving your stepfather, don’t worry; it will not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.