Detroit, MI asked in Consumer Law for Michigan

Q: Can my 82 year old Mother break her auto lease and not be liable for the early return if she is going blind?

She has 2 years left on a three year lease. She can get a letter from her doctor.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Trent Harris

  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If there is some sort of medical hardship language in the lease that says she can, then yes. If not, no. I would think such a provision would be extremely rare in most commercial auto leases. It’s not a risk most commercial lessors would want to take. Please refer to the terms of the lease to be sure.

As always, you get what you pay for. Be sure to talk to a qualified attorney about your specific situation before choosing to rely on information you get from internet discussion boards such as this one.

Adam Alexander

  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Southfield, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Unfortunately, the answer is "no". Finance companies are unforgiving when it comes to their money . You may wish to consider buying out the lease (if she has the financial ability to do so). This would at least leave you with an asset to sell and save you Mom from damaged credit. If she simply stops making payments, it will result in a repossession, followed by debt collection - so you do not want that result.

Buying out the lease would also prevent her credit from being derogated by the finance company.

Maybe a friend or relative could take over out the lease?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.