Cincinnati, OH asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Education Law for Ohio

Q: I'm 16, am I able to change my custody to my mom from my dad to switch schools & get out of a bad environment wout court

So my dad just remarried a few years back and the house had became a terrible environment for me to live in. I get treated unfairly because my step siblings seem like they are the star of the show. They do things without permisson and get away with it but it would be totally different if it was me. Also my step mom has totally changed my dad and says stuff to him so that i would get in trouble. Im homeschooled and the school I want to go to is where my mom lives, and that means I would have to change my custody. Would I be able to get out of my dads to life with my mom without having to go to court?? I want to be in a good environment and be able to make friends since being homeschooled doesn't give me a good opportunity to make new friends.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The court makes that determination. Your mother would have to file with the court to ask for a change. The court will take your desire into account, but might not agree to the change.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.