Detroit, MI asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Libel & Slander for Ohio

Q: lawyer to sue my ex for the mental distress mental disturbance emotional harm mental anguish mental suffering ect

Mental suffering he used abusive and insulting language assult and battery he torched my arm while i was sleeping has beat me many times he has went to jail he sufficates me with hands or pillow he pours liquids on me of all sorts i am in intensive counciling and i have problems with back head and neck as well see a neurologist i have had they believe 2 mild heart attacks and have damage to my heart i become a cutter and self harmed myself do to the mental abuse i have ptsd very very bad anxiety very bad depression bad i am on ssi and need help with getting a lawyer please and what kind do i get..he and his brother in very bad physcosis do to drugs they are slandering my name at this point the brother now helping him do this all to me there twins i have many phone recordings of him i have many messages from there mom saying he would of killed me they both need help i have family members who witnessed the abuse mentally and physically i have docors i have pics and court has pics witness

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through this. You have a case but.....the problem is that homeowners won't cover intentional acts, and if there is no insurance unless he's worth a lot of money you will get a piece of paper saying you are entitled to money--but he won't be able to pay it. The only plus is that as intentional acts they aren't dischargeable in bankruptcy.

I know that's not at all "justice" but it's like being mugged by a wino--you have a case but after spending time and money will you ever collect from a wino? What closure will it bring?

Generally, to get a more direct and personal assessment, I would suggest contacting a womens rights center in Cleveland or Cincinatti to ask who their "cooperating attorneys" are in your area, then call one of those.

The big problem I see is less one of proof but of finding money to pay the damages. As to the twins

that would be a question for a family law attorney.

As to the PTSD, there is a type of treatment called EMDR that is very useful. To find someone in your area google "Therapist EMDR __________________(nearest large city to you) " and see who you get. Look for someone who's been doing it a while.

All the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.