Brooklyn, NY asked in Consumer Law and Criminal Law for New York

Q: My daughter was caught shoplifting, she’s an18 year old college student. What will happen to her? Court date is feb 28

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Kristen Epifania

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If this is her first offense, depending on the amount of items, she will likely receive an ACD with the condition that she completes a short one day shoplifting program. The ACD means that the case will be adjourned for six months and then dismissed and sealed, as long as there are no new arrests. She can hire an attorney beforehand, or the court will assign an attorney to her case on that date if she doesn’t appear with one.

Jonathan David Warner agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Jonathan David Warner

  • Albany, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It will probably be adjourned in contemplation of subsequent Dismissal. With this being said, your daughter should hopefully learn a valuable lesson from this experience... otherwise, the second time may not turn out so well.

Nonetheless, she should hire an attorney or take advantage of a public defender, if one is available for her.

Good luck.

Michael David Siegel

  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You need a criminal lawyer. It depends on the value of what she took and her priors. She is not a juvenile. She is an adult. She will likely wind up with a conviction on her record, but no jail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.