Sacramento, CA asked in Adoption, Family Law, Criminal Law and Child Custody for California

Q: Should I be concerned with how my case is be conducted and “shady” things going on inside the legal teams

our Question:edit text

I’m fighting a criminal case currently as well as being a witness in another case. I’m being refused a speedy trial until I testify. The DA is saying I won’t be charged for any wrong doing in the witness case and I don’t have legal counsel currently cuz trusting the DA keeps his word and won’t charge me but it’s holding up my own case. Should I get a lawyer to make sure I get in writing that I won’t be charged with anything and is there a way to make them OR me and not be held hostage basically . Can the ADA be married to a PD and not be a conflict of interest? Also I think my CPS case is involved maybe or at least benefiting somehow from my incarceration

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To properly answer any legal question it is necessary to ascertain more information. It is like asking a doctor over the phone what your pain in the stomach is about and whether he could cure it. The Doc needs to get a more complete history, lab work, and X-rays etc.

I would strongly suggest you write out a detailed summary of the facts including your name, address, email, and the relevant facts. Every lawyer you talk to will need the same information to intelligently answer your inquiry.

After doing that you should set up an appointment with a local lawyer that handles the area of law in question. If you need a referral, please contact me at 760 837-7500 or In other words, you do not hire an LA lawyer for a case in Palm Springs or OC etc. Of course, on a criminal case, if you cannot afford a lawyer the court will appoint one for you.

If there was an underlying case, then the lawyer who handled that case would be in the best position to know all the facts and advise you intelligently on your inquiry. I would think the lawyer you retain or who is appointed to represent you would be the best person to answer this question.

It's also important that you not talk about this case to anyone except your attorney. Please remember anything you say online herein is discoverable and can be used against you.

The problem with talking to anyone, be it the police or an insurance adjuster, is they may misunderstand what you said or they do not write down everything. Sometimes the problem is what THEY THOUGHT THEY HEARD YOU SAY that hurts you. You never want to admit to anything.

You should consider retaining a lawyer, remaining silent and letting the lawyer be the strawman and taking the heat.

In other words, for instance, you would be happy to talk to the police or the insurance company, but your lawyer has ordered you “not to talk without his permission”.

You then suggest they talk to your lawyer for permission for you to talk to them. I never let my clients talk to anyone and always take the blame for any issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.