Raleigh, NC asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: Should I be prepared to pay college tuition if I have no rights to see either of my children?

divorced from my 2 daughters mother in 2005. Have been paying child support since then for both of my girls (ages 17 & 16). I do not have rights to see them because of an arrest in 2004 and a felony conviction (Alford plea) in 2006 in SC. i am concerned my ex-wife will sue me for assistance with college tuition. what are my legal rights and obligations?

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Unless you stupidly agreed to pay for college in some binding agreement, your obligation to pay child support beyond the age of 18 is limited to a circumstance where the child is 18 but has not yet graduated from high school - in which case your obligation typically continues until the child graduates high school. You are of course free to contribute financially after the age of 18 if you want to but you are not under any legal obligation to do so nor can the mother legally force you to pay for college. So your child support obligation ought to drop by half in a year or so when your oldest turns 18 or has graduated high school and you should have no child support obligation within two years when your youngest turns 18 or graduates from high school. This is North Carolina law and since the children reside in South Carolina, you should also check with a South Carolina family law attorney but there is likely not much difference.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.