Santa Barbara, CA asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Legal Malpractice and Communications Law for California

Q: The police removed my anonymity as they had information I gave them from calls I made to dispatch. Is this legal?

I live in an area that has serious traffic issues. I created an anonymous email account to contact city council about this. I also called the police a lot about this and gave my name to the dispatch center. In an email response from the police that included the city council, my name was used. Is it legal for a police sergeant to do this? He has removed my anonymity by using knowledge that I willingly gave the dispatchers and the sergeant assumed that my emails were coming from the same person who complained about the illegally modified vehicles in my area that go without enforcement. Now the entire council knows my name, which is what I wanted to avoid. Is it legal for the police to have used dispatch recordings and the dispatch log to assume these emails were coming from the same source and to name me like this? I feel that my privacy has been violated and this is extremely serious to me. This happened in Santa Barbara county, California

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: this is not my area of law but I assume absent an agreement you might have an uphill road to climb.

anyone can sue anyone for anything at any time........the question is what is the value?

you can always sue in small claims for a minimal cost, and sue for up to $10k, but you must prove damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.