Cincinnati, OH asked in Divorce, Criminal Law and Business Law for Ohio

Q: If your wife signs her company over to one of her affiliates for free then files divorce do you have legal recourse?

I helped my wife start a company and completely carried it financially from my wages. The company was in her name solely as an llc. We live in a communicative property state (Ohio). The company has recently got to where it has the connections and is begging to gain contracts and become profitable. I cashed out 100% of a retirement account, sold a herd of cattle, sold a farm, sold a t-shirt business and soaked every spare dollar of my income into building this business to the point I have destroyed my credit rating from late payments on numerous bills and the mortgage so the business would always have current payment history and build its credit. Two days ago I found out she was filing divorce. Two days ago I found out that five days ago she signed the business over to one of her affiliates at no charge. Do I have any legal recourse against her or the new owners?

2 Lawyer Answers

Joseph Jaap

  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Yes, you have legal recourse in a divorce. Marital assets are subject to division, including assets improperly transferred. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local divorce attorney who can review all the details and advise you of your options.

Dimitrios Makridis agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Patrick DiChiro

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Independence, OH

A: Of course. She has dissipated a marital asset. I would look into the transfer because it appears to be fraudulent and in anticipation of the divorce filing. I would also find a good lawyer to represent you and a good business appraiser in order to appraise the business.

Pat DiChiro

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.